WordPress is the most popular and widely used content publishing script in the world. Approximately 25% of websites are made by using WordPress globally. From the blogs to the business website, WordPress offers a wide range of features, which makes it likable to all types of users. But WordPress is not out of vulnerabilities from the intruders and hackers. Hackers are continually trying to hack the sites to get the information and destroy the servers all around the world. So as bloggers or webmaster, everyone should focus on the WordPress security.
WordPress is based on a solid and secure framework and it provides patch update regularly. But it’s really difficult to protect the site with the core functionality of the WordPress. Because WordPress depends on third party extension that makes it more vulnerable to the intruders. Malicious code injection, Database injection, Themes and Plugins security, Login access control, File permission, Spam Protection, Content theft Protection, all those mentioned factors are involved in a relation with the WordPress Security.
So as a content publisher, you must ensure an extra layer of protection for your WordPress site along with its core stability and protection. Lots of good and quality WordPress Security Plugins are out there in the repository. But lots of options come with a confusion to select the best one. Here I will be showing you a list of Best WordPress Security Plugins so that you can get the best one. Before choosing the WordPress Security Plugins, you must compare the features of the plugins.
Before proceeding with the WordPress Security Plugins, you can have a look on Best Backup Plugins and Best Spam Protection Plugins which will ensure better and proactive security measures for the sites.
Table of Contents
- 1 #1. Wordfence Security
- 2 #2. iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security)
- 3 #3. All In One WP Security & Firewall
- 4 #4. Sucuri Security
- 5 #5. BulletProof Security
- 6 #6. Clef Two-Factor Authentication
- 7 #7. Google Authenticator
#1. Wordfence Security
Wordfence Security is the most popular and high rated plugin in the WordPress repository. More Than 1+ million active users are using this plugin with full satisfaction. Most of the features come with a free tag. But premium features are also available for advanced level protection if you are ready to pay. It’s an open source project and all the free tools are quite enough for ensuring the sites protection.
- Provide a dashboard of live traffic and malware attack if made any.
- Offers WordPress Firewall, which helps to protect the site from malicious attack, fake google bots, botnets and do a real-time malicious scan.
- It provides real-time blocking services like blocking entire malicious network, stops security scans by crawlers, scrapers, and bots for sites vulnerabilities.
- Provides Login security which helps from brute force attack.
- It does the security scanning of Heartbeat vulnerabilities, core files, theme and plugins files, and server backdoors.
- Provides Multi-site security
- Regularly updated and well-documented
#2. iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security)
iThemes Security is one of the best and regularly updated security plugin out there. This plugin provides 30+ tools to protect the site from the intruders. It does the regular scanning to fix the common hole, stop automated attacks, and overall strengthen the user’s credentials.
- It comes both in free and paid version but free tools are quite enough for the basic users and sites.
- Protects the site from brute force attacks.
- Helps to block specific IPs or users who try to be intruders or attackers.
- Block fake and troublesome users agents, botnets.
- Strengthen the user’s credentials by enforcing strong password for all the site accounts with minimum configurations.
- Detects and prevent malicious code injection into files and database.
- Regularly updated and well-documented
#3. All In One WP Security & Firewall
Though WordPress, by default, is a secured platform but to give an extra layer of security, All In One WP Security & Firewall Plugin can be used. Use of this plugin is very easy and friendly. It provides an intuitive and easy understanding dashboard which shows the security standard of the site in a graphical interface. The users can easily do the necessary modification by seeing the dashboard.
- Offers three types of security configuration like basic, intermediate, and advance.
- Plugin configuration does not break the site’s functionality.
- Does not slow down the site.
- Provides users account security by showing the strength of the usernames and password.
- Protect from brute force login attack with lock down features.
- Blocks the malicious scanning with specific IP assignment.
- It offers the security of database and files.
- 100% free, regularly updated, and well documented
#4. Sucuri Security
Sucuri Security plugin comes from the well-known website security related developer Sucuri Inc. This company is well recognized for their specialization on WordPress security management. With the help of this plugin, you can audit activity, monitor files integrity, do remote malware scanning, make security hardening, and a lot more.
- It saves all the security activity monitoring logs on both server and Sucuri cloud which helps to identify when the attacks happened.
- Keeps track of all the files integrity in relation with last known good snapshot files.
- Offers to do a remote scanning of all the core files and additional third party files for malicious code and intrusions.
- Its malware scanning integrates various blacklist engines to help to identify the site’s security issue flag.
- If the site is hacked, it provides additional tips for post hacks actions.
- Webmaster gets email notification when the site gets malicious attacks.
#5. BulletProof Security
BulletProof security plugin is one of the mentionable and top rated plugin out there. It provides WordPress files and database protection, brute force login protection, and prevent malicious attacks. It offers a unique feature of taking full or partial backup of site’s database.
- Easy to install, configure, and use.
- Comes with both free and paid version but free tools are quite enough for basic users.
- Provides server-side security by configuring .htaccess file.
- Helps to monitor all the login activity to prevent brute force attack.
- HTTP error logging activity.
- Full or partial database backup.
- Optimize the website by doing various malicious code scanning.
- It offers backend and frontend maintenance mode.
#6. Clef Two-Factor Authentication
This plugin is very innovative and easy to use. It provides a mobile app which helps to log into the site without any password. Only one-time sign-in is required for access to all the subsequent sites and log out when done.
- Offers strong authentication without password or tokens.
- No extra devices required for logins like USB or any key.
- Comprehensive login protection from brute force login attacks.
- Plugin configuration is easy and ready to go after installing.
#7. Google Authenticator
It provides easy integration of google’s two-factor secure authentication into the WordPress site. It just adds a second layer login protection instead depending on only password login protection which can be easily guessed or phished.
- Two-factor authentication can be enabled as per role wise.
- Entire user base can be assigned within a minute and easily.
- Provides most secure google’s two-factor authentication login method.
- Any sort of smartphones is supported.
- Offers an app to get a one-time password which is useful if the phone is lost or off.
- Comes with lots of features which give all in one solution of secured login into the WordPress site.
I hope all the above listed WordPress security plugins helps you to choose the right one for your site. If you spend a little bit time now for securing your contents and site, it will save a lot more time and resources afterward. So now the time to secure your site with any of these WordPress security plugins.
Did you like the listing of best WordPress security plugins? Or do you use any other one? Let me know your suggestions and experiences in the comment below.
One Last Thing…
Mind if you do me a sweet favor, and tap the Social Share Button if you learned something new? It’d mean so much to me.
Thanks again for spending part of your day here. Hope to see you come back. 🙂